Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Fuck you 2008!

Most of the time it has always sucked to have my birthday on New Year’s Eve. But this year I am so glad of it. I have heard that 29 is the worst year of your life so that you can look forward to 30, dear god I hope that’s true. Twenty nine, or the entire year of 2008, has sucked some huge donkey balls, and because I’m in a whiny mood I will go through it just so I can get it out.

I’ll start off with wrecking my lovely little Mini Cooper (I loved that car). I was going about 75 when I hit a wet spot and spun the shit out of it. Thankfully the wall dividing the two lines of freeway was kind enough to stop me. I had to take the train home and I could barely walk the next day. OK this happened in 2007 but was so close to 2008 that I’m throwing it in there.

I had to drive my dad’s convertible Saturn roadster that screams midlife crisis.

So I bought a used Honda Civic, those are reliable cars that can go for years with no problems. The next day the check engine light goes on, and I swear the guys at the dealership just started laughing.

My brother in-law came down with a very rare case of leukemia, we still don’t know if he is going to be OK.

I dumped my super-sweet boyfriend of eight years on the day he proposed.

I followed that up with two of the most soul draining, pathetic excuses for relationships in the existence of mankind (OK, they weren’t that bad but you get the drift).

Some guy in Chili stole $600 out of my account.

I got stranded on the freeway with no cell phone, and had to dodge traffic to get to the emergency phone. Later while waiting for the tow truck a police officer mistook me for a prostitute (I was wearing business casual the bastard).

I had to move back in with my mom. (Thankfully I was able to move out two months later, but it still sucked, and to be honest she does feed me so that’s always a plus.)

I almost burned my new apartment down due to a misunderstanding between me, the stove and a carton of free-range chicken eggs.

My car got rear-ended. Nearly took the bumper off, and of course there was no note.

I locked myself out of my apartment twice. The first time I had to call the very expensive locksmith, then I made copies of my keys and handed them out to everyone I ever knew.

My phone got turned off due to lack of funds.

Guy I went on three dates with, 6 months ago, won’t stop calling.

I still haven’t finished my thesis (totally my fault I just don’t want to do it anymore).

I threw my back out the day before my birthday/New Years/trip to Vegas.

Though I’ve bitched I had a lot of fun this year they just weren’t a memorable as the bad times.

But there is a bottle of champagne waiting to ease me through the last little bit of this year and into what will hopefully be a much better next one. It's weird but I really am looking forward to 30. Oh wait I am officially 30, this sucks.

5 comments:

Rahul said...

Wait some guy at Chilis stole your credit card. They do have some sweet baby back ribs.

Honda Civic Owners unite!

Anonymous said...

I must say, that does sound like a sucky year... but at least you got to be a magazine model. That's gotta count for something, eh?

Moooooog35 said...

Normally, hitting a wet spot is cause for celebration for me.

Not sure what you were doing in a car at the time. I find that kinda tricky.

Kudos to you!

Colleen said...

rs27 - Chili as in South America. Wait is check engine light on because thats the cool way to drive it.

Andrew - Hey it's been awhile! And I didn't get paid for that.

Mooooooog35 - Hmmm ... maybe I was doing it wrong?

MsFreshBananaPuddin said...

you know I was going to give you the it-could-always-get-worse-sorry-your-having-such-shitty-luck-but-don't-come-near-me speech, but I lost my shit after reading about someone in Chili taking money from your account. lol seriously? I wonder if they were having any better of a day???

Well happy belated and happy New Year, hope this year is luckier...