Thursday, August 14, 2008

I'm not hungry, thanks

It was another weird day; I seem to have a lot of them.

I went with one of the photographers to this quaint little grocery store so he could photograph the owner for a profile we’re doing. When we get there the owner doesn’t want to be photographed because “he’s still in hiding.” Dude has owned this place for like fifty years and his name is everywhere. Sir, you are doing it wrong.

Then (profile has already been written) he proceeds to take us around his store, and goes on a fifteen-minute lecture about how he disposes of his fruits and vegetables. As he takes us over to the bin of discarded stuff, he starts throwing, a smidge-past-ripe fruit at us, telling us it’s tasty. Do I look like I haven’t showered in weeks? Are there funny stains that can’t be identified anywhere on my outfit? Am I wearing a tinfoil hat? No! So stop throwing food at me that comes from the garbage, I am not going to eat it.

But apparently everyone was obsessed with feeding me today.

After work I went to get a manicure, because I can be girly damnit. While the manicurist had one of my hands gripped tightly and the other soaking in tepid water, another worker lady came in with a plate of sushi from next door. She comes and sits by us and while talking to the other worker crams a deep fried rainbow roll in my mouth. I have to swallow or choke, so I choose the former. I guess it’s a full service kind of place.

Kind of awkward.

Thankfully I know the restaurant she got them from isn’t sketchy.

4 comments:

Narm said...

If you don't want that sushi go ahead and send it my way. It should keep in the mail.

Katie said...

Good thing you made up for the whole day with pizza, wings, beer, spicy fries, and onion rings.

Rahul said...

I'm definitely getting sushi for lunch.

I was that was a metaphor for something else.

Colleen said...

narm: I have heard that fedexed raw fish is the way to go. But then you would miss the manicure.

katie: And a few other things later.

rs27: I know, I know it's a metaphor for chinese food isn't it? I'm smart.