Monday, August 18, 2008

Fun with power tools

I have puny arms. I mean they are proportionate to the rest of my body so I’m not complaining. But I am rather weak. I admit it. It seems to be the trade off for never gaining weight, so it’s one that I can live with. My sister is really weak as well so we are guessing it’s a genetic thing (although weirdly our mom is freakishly strong).

But it was rather frustrating trying to put together one stupid little ikea table. I could not get the screws in for the life of me. For a week the Swedish, wooden puzzle pieces mocked me from their jumbled heap on the floor. Everyday I would try to get the screws a little farther in, like maybe today I was a tad bit stronger or that the wood maybe would have given up its vice like hold, but to no avail.

But yesterday I brought back with me the great equalizer — power tools. Suddenly what was a week’s worth of frustration turned into ten, fun-filled, minutes of me just hitting a button and bam, it’s put together. And not even the tiniest bit of sweat was involved.

Now I’m thinking of putting up shelves and building a small ark. Thanks to electricity and tiny motors I have the ability to make anything.

So thank you power tools and fire arms for evening out the playing field.

7 comments:

MsFreshBananaPuddin said...

aw that sucks i feel your pain. i put together the cd rack in my room and now its the leaning tower. it pays tribute to my construction/arctect skills.anyway, time for you to play damsel in distress...

Unknown said...

You build wardrobes with a firearm? Cool.

Power tools are great. They take the effort out of work, and oh my god do I love that! I have such a great shirk ethic. Also, they improve horror movies.

Narm said...

If only there were power tools that made spreadsheets and balanced budgets for me too.

Colleen said...

mspuddin: I tried that but the guy I brought over couldn't get the table together either, I need to make friends with stronger guys.

chris: That would be the sweetest thing, just point a shotgun at a wall and BAM instant shelves, I wonder what the kickback would be like.

narm: Well that sounds painful, ooh drill through the computer it can only help.

Moooog: Hmmm, where could I get that attachment?

LBluca77 said...

Ikea stuff can be pretty tricky, damn those crazy Swedes.

The Josh said...

If only it were that easy to please women.... Oh wait!

Daniel Nielsen said...

haha, nice story. I'm positive I know somebody just like you. You are not alone