Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sometimes you have to break a couple eggs

I’ve been in my place for about a week now but I hadn’t actually made any food there. So this morning I decided that it was time for me to make breakfast.

So I walked around the corner and headed in to some high-end market. It was one of those granola places where everything is a good 20 percent more than chain markets, but it’s so close and I wasn’t getting a lot.

I have only one frying pan and no baking sheet, so I decided to scramble up some eggs — even I can do that.

Well I also don’t have a bowl so I broke the eggs in the frying pan and put the rest on the back burner, as my counter is rather full of random stuff right now.

So I turned on the burner but noticed that nothing was happening. It sounded like the gas was going but I couldn’t see anything. I looked up and noticed bright orange flames working their way up the carton and starting to engulf my newly purchased eggs. Actually the eggs were starting to cook inside their shells so I mean, at least technically, I was cooking something.

Yep, I had turned on the wrong burner. After a lot of smoke and yelling I was able to get the fire out, and my neighbor was kind enough to give me a huge fan, (imagine the back of those Florida swamp airboat thingy) which was able to remove the smoke.

My first independent act in my new home and I’m a complete failure. I almost burned down my apartment of less than a week. There will be drinking tonight, thankfully I can open a bottle; I’ve had a shitload of practice at that.

4 comments:

Miss Snarky Pants said...

Thankfully, it wasn't so bad that you couldn't get it under control.

The good news is now, you know! :-)

MsFreshBananaPuddin said...

aw hon, you baked ;p

wait does this mean you are single now?

Narm said...

At least you were cooking food - my roommate managed to cook my flashlight one night when he accidentally turned on the wrong burner. It still tasted ok.

Colleen said...

ms. behaving: Yes now I know but I haven't used the stove since, just in case.

ms. puddin: Yes I am now single and living downtown. Oh the joy!

Narm: Wait was it a regular flashlight or one of those fancy LED ones? Because the LED ones taste different.