Thursday, November 08, 2007

Where am I?

I live in lovely Menlo Park which I have decided is the scariest place on earth. It's so Stepford here. Apparently khaki is the uniform and every house comes with two loud children and the Eddie Bauer off-road baby stroller. I walk around downtown and expect passersby to break into choreographed song and dance numbers at any minute.

Every morning I leave around 9:30am and as I pass the local coffee shop (which of course is located right next to the world's most saccharinely sweet park that has live music for the whole family on Wednesday nights during the summer) and I notice families carrying their mocha chinos, pushing their designer baby strollers with a cute little dog running around their ankles. This wouldn't be so odd but it's a week day, who the crap is working in these families? The coffee shop is full of these happy, gap clad yuppies that are doing nothing (OK at this point one might point out my lack of a real job and the fact that I'm starting my day out at 9:30). Although I readily admit I'm probably just jealous.

Of course when I do walk around I'm pretty sure that I have "outsider" stamped on my forehead. I think maybe my unbrushed hair and clothes from yesterday and are a dead give. I went to go get bagels one Sunday morning at an early 11am, and two old people actually glared at me as I walked into the bagel cafe.

I must admit this place does not feel like home. But I like the apartment so I'll learn to live with the weirdos in the neighborhood. And the naked neighbor who's girlfriend is always yelling at him is at least entertaining.

4 comments:

Quattro Chris said...

Naked neighbor is back! I thought maybe his girlfriend killed him or something. Thank "A" for the sticker. I wrote about it in my post.

MsFreshBananaPuddin said...

lol @ the old people muggin’. Maybe they thought you were going to rob the bagel shop? “Give me all your cream cheese and nobody gets hurt!”

And yes what are you doing up @ 9am without a job? What is wrong with you? You should still be in bed or at a bar or something…

A.Venegas said...

And I swear they mow their lawns twenty times a week over there. I don't pay that much attention to my kids... well, at least I wouldn't if I had any.

Megan Hamilton said...

yeah menlo park is even worse than willow glen which is even worse than morgan hill. however, be thankful. I don't think it's as bad as los altos hills. There, the penalty for unbrushed hair and yesterday's clothes is suffocation by khaki!